Fill Your Memory and Your Memory Cards
What’s the best way to adjust to a 6 hour time difference and jet lag? Spending a few days in 1 place, of course, and Norway’s cosmopolitan capital city, Oslo, is the perfect place to do that. We’ll enjoy 2.5 days/3 nights in Oslo, relaxing and taking in the sites. Following that, we’ll fly north to Stokmarknes, where we’ll board one of the Hurtigruten (www.hurtigruten.com) ships for a coastal ferry tour through northern Norway’s fjords to Stamsund, my home town. This quaint fishing village, which lies 170 km inside the Arctic Circle, will be our base for 7 days/8 nights.
Upon arrival at the Stamsund pier, we’ll take the short walk to our accommodations…the historic fishermen’s ‘rorbuer’. You’ll be very comfortable in these cabins, which are equipped with all amenities you’ll need, when you’re not out with your camera. A grocery store, just a few minutes walk from the cabins, will keep the kitchens stocked for shared meal preparation. If we want to skip cooking, we can walk to one of the 2 nearby restaurants/pubs.
You’ll spend 7 full days capturing the countless vistas that the Lofoten Islands offer at every turn. You’ll fill your eyes and your memory cards with the alpine fall colours, the spectacular sunrises and sunsets enhanced by the majestic mountains rising out of the ocean, the surf on white sand beaches and idyllic coastal villages. There’s a good chance you’ll enjoy the fantastic light show of the ‘Nord Lys’ (Northern Lights….Aurora Borealis).
You can even take a hike in the mountains for breathtaking high level views and panoramic shots or visit the very interesting Viking museum (www.lofotr.no), in nearby Borge.
I was born in Lofoten, speak Norwegian fluently, particularly the northern dialect, and I’m at home in the islands. Together with either my son, Mike, an accomplished photographer, or Hans Melhus, a superb Stamsund photographer, you’ll be sure to experience true Norwegian hospitality and sample the Lofoten cuisine. You might even be offered a sip of local moonshine!
Dates: 14 days from September 18 to October 1, 2018, including 3 nights in Oslo
Price: Cdn. $3,895; single supplement = Cdn. $500
Up to 10 Participants…a Small, Exclusive Group:
- Depending on the final number of participants, we will use up to 3 cabins, with up to 4 people per cabin.
- Transportation, while in Lofoten, will be via two 9-passenger diesel vans. Splitting the group into two vans will ensure that there’s plenty of room for everyone and their equipment.
- Please note: this is not a workshop. It is a photographic tour and, as such, we will focus on getting you to the best sites in the best lighting conditions; however, splitting the group will give Mike or Hans and I time to spend with you individually.
- 3 nights in an Oslo city centre hotel, based on double occupancy
- 8 nights in the Stamsund ‘rorbuer’ (we attempt to provide a private room for everyone, but we reserve the right to change to shared occupancy, if necessary)
- Train from Gardermoen airport to the Oslo city centre and return
- Groceries in Stamsund
- Transportation – Hurtigruten & ground transportation
- Entrance fees for the fishing village of Nusfjord, a UNESCO world heritage site, and the Lofotr Viking Museum
What Isn’t Included:
- Airfare: International & domestic estimated at Cdn. $2,000
- Airport taxes & passport fees
- Transportation to & from your departure airport
- Meals on the Hurtigruten & restaurant meals
- Alcoholic beverages
- Medical & travel insurance
- Entry fees other than those listed above
- Personal phone calls, gratuities & other incidental personal expenses
- Reservation deadline: July 17, 2018
- Cdn. $750 deposit is required to hold a reservation
- Full balance is due on August 20, 2018; if not received by then, the reservation is considered cancelled
Cancellation / Refund Policy:
- 45 days or more prior to departure: cancellation fee = $750
- 44-31 days prior to departure: cancellation fee = $1,500
- Within 30 days of departure: 100% non-refundable
- If there is a waiting list and I can confirm a replacement booking, the cancellation fee will be $500
- Camera(s) and lenses, wide angle and zoom
- Cable or remote shutter release
- Filters – polarizer, graduated and neutral density filters
- Memory cards and storage back-up
- Clothing to cover a variety of weather and terrain
- Warm jacket, fleece, layers, hat, gloves, waterproof boots/shoes
Testimonials from Previous Photo Tour Participants
“We have to thank you for an absolutely outstanding, informative and organized trip to Stamsund and the Lofoten Islands. Your knowledge of the region, along with the support of your son, Mike, showed us areas of Norway that were simply breathtaking. The connections made with family and friends lent an atmosphere that was warm and welcoming. Our lodging was cozy and, although simple, suited our needs. We worked together as a team to coordinate daily routines and adventures.
Leif, you are an excellent tour guide! You organized our days and yet were flexible enough to make changes as needed. I look forward to traveling with you again one day!” ….Rhonda & Grant, Richmond Hill, 2015 Photo Tour
“Lovely shots! Both you and Mike have captured the beauty of the Norwegian countryside perfectly. The images bring back some great memories of a wonderful trip. I’m glad I was able to participate as one of your “pioneers” in your Summer Solstice Tour. Should there be occasion to venture on another photographers’ tour with your company, I would be most willing to take part.” ….Rosemarie, Richmond Hill, 2015 Photo Tour
“With his extensive knowledge of the area, Leif took us to beautiful and interesting places to photograph. The whole photo tour was filled with great experiences, from the Hurtigruten ship to the accommodations in Stamsund.” ….Nancy, Bowmanville, 2016 Photo Tour