I have enjoyed photography for over 30 years, but it became my passion after moving to Oshawa, Ontario and joining the Oshawa Camera Club, in 2008. Although my career involved extensive world travel, retirement has allowed me to slow down and truly experience my travels through a lens. I often travel to Norway, my birthplace, have spent time in Iceland, China, England, Wales, Ireland, India, Dubai, Italy and regularly travel throughout Canada and the US. I was very happy to have my wife, Bonnie, accompany me on most of those trips. When I travel to the Antarctic in February/March 2020, I will have been to all 7 continents.
As you can see in the Gallery, my portfolio demonstrates a wide range of photographic interests.
My passion and inspiration for photography is life itself. Being at a happy and satisfied point in my life, I see things around me more clearly, and often differently, than I would without a camera up to my eye. Traveling and photography has given me the opportunity to see, appreciate and capture many beautiful places and wonderful moments in life around the world and enjoy several life-changing experiences. The entire process, from image capture through digital processing to printing and preparing my images for exhibit, is fascinating, relaxing and fulfilling.
My photography activities include:
- Served on the Oshawa Camera Club’s Executive Committee for 7 years as Community Liaison, Vice President, President and Past President. I returned to the Committee as VP and served as President for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons.
- Stepped down as Vice-President of the Ontario Council of Camera Clubs (O3C) after 1 year, following 2 years as Treasurer.
- Serve on the Durham College School of Media Art and Design’s Digital Photography and Video Advisory Committee.
- Treasurer of the Toronto Focal Forum, “…a diverse group of photographic print makers from around the Greater Toronto areas”.
- Member of the Whitby Station Gallery and often contribute my art to charity events.
- Exhibit in local galleries and venues, with a permanent, but often changing, photo exhibit at Jester’s Court, Port Perry
- Regularly exhibit at the Nice Bistro, in Whitby.
- In June, 2015, partnering with my son, Mike, I launched the ‘Midnight Sun Photo Tour’, which offers avid photographers a tour of Oslo and the Lofoten Islands, an archipelago which lies within the Arctic Circle. We repeated the tour in 2016, with 10 photographers who thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular land/seascapes and life inside the Arctic Circle. I’d like to whet your appetite, so check out my short show on YouTube, and the other 2 links:
- I returned to Norway, in September 2017, to capture the fall colours and the magnificent Aurora Borealis dancing over the mountains and reflecting in the coastal waters.
- I conducted 2 photo tours to Norway in 2018 and co-hosted a tour to northern India, in the fall of 2019
- Future tours to Norway will be hosted through Photo Tour Trekkers / Tourcan Vacations.