I have enjoyed photography for over 30 years, but it became my passion after moving to Oshawa, Ontario and joining the Oshawa Camera Club, in 2008. Although my career involved extensive world travel, retirement has allowed me to slow down and truly experience my travels through a lens. I often travel to Norway, my birthplace, have spent time in Iceland, China, England, Wales, Ireland, India, Dubai, Italy and regularly travel throughout Canada and the US. I was very happy to have my wife, Bonnie, accompany me on most of those trips.
As you can see in the Gallery, my portfolio demonstrates a wide range of photographic interests.
My passion and inspiration for photography is life itself. Being at a happy and satisfied point in my life, I see things around me more clearly, and often differently, than I would without a camera up to my eye. Traveling and photography has given me the opportunity to see, appreciate and capture many beautiful places and wonderful moments in life around the world and enjoy several life-changing experiences. The entire process, from image capture through digital processing to printing and preparing my images for exhibit, is fascinating, relaxing and fulfilling.
My photography activities include:
- Served on the Oshawa Camera Club’s Executive Committee for 7 years as Community Liaison, Vice President, President and Past President. Have returned to the Committee as VP and will serve as President for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons.
- Currently the Vice-Chairman of the Greater Toronto Council of Camera Clubs (GTCCC), after serving 2 years as Treasurer.
- Serve on the Durham College School of Media Art and Design’s Digital Photography and Video Advisory Committee.
- Member of the Toronto Focal Forum, “…a diverse group of photographic print makers from around the Greater Toronto areas”.
- Member of the Whitby Station Gallery and often contribute my art to charity events.
- Exhibit in local galleries and venues, with a permanent, but often changing, photo exhibit at Jester’s Court, Port Perry
- Regularly exhibit at the Nice Bistro, in Whitby.
- Rent framed photographs to real estate agents, for home staging.
- In June, 2015, partnering with my son, Mike, I launched the ‘Midnight Sun Photo Tour’, which offers avid photographers a tour of Oslo and the Lofoten Islands, an archipelago which lies within the Arctic Circle. We repeated the tour in 2016, with 10 photographers who thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular land/seascapes and life inside the Arctic Circle. The 2018 tour is now open for registration. I’d like to whet your appetite, so check out the following links:
Stamsund Rorbuer – Click on the video, sit back and enjoy the tour.
- I returned to Norway in September 2017 to capture the fall colours and the magnificent Aurora Borealis dancing over the mountains and reflecting in the coastal waters. A fall 2018 photography tour might be possible, so check back later.