Day 5: June 17 – Oslo > Bodø > Stokmarknes > Stamsund

Up at 6:30, showered, a quick breakfast and out of the hotel at 7:45 for the short walk to the National Theatre train station.  The 1/2 hour train ride got us to Gardermoen in lots of time to catch our 10:35 direct flight to Stokmarknes.  My Star Alliance Gold status came in handy once again – we could all check in there and miss the long check-in line-up.  After we got through security, I checked the flight board to get our gate number only to find out that our flight was canceled.  Oh no!!!.  At the SAS service desk, I found out that our tickets were being reissued for another flight, but we had to wait for about 10 minutes to find out what our new routing was.

Fortunately, we were put on the 10:45 flight to Bodø with a connection to Stokmarknes.  This is the routing I’ve usually taken, so I could breathe a sigh of relief that I didn’t have to resort to Plan B, C or D.  The flight was a bit late getting in and then we had to wait for the pre-booked taxis to show up…..grrrrrrr.  As we were waiting, the Hurtigruten ship, the MS Nordkapp, sailed past the airport, which got me a little nervous again.  Finally, the taxis showed up and we arrived at the terminal just as the ship was docking.  It’s great when a plan comes together!

I’ve taken this trip many times, so rather than spending my time taking photos, I stayed in the lounge on the 7th deck while the others went outside to get their once-in-a-lifetime shots.  We arrived in Svolvær at 6:30, so after many of the people left the boat, we went down to the 4th deck to enjoy the buffet, which was pretty damn good for NOK 460.  I even had a shot of Akvavit; I was surprised that I could even feel it a bit, so I turned the 2nd shot down, when Sophie came around again with her tray.

The ship left Svolvær at 8:30 and we docked in Stamsund right on time at 10:00 PM.  You can set your clocks by the Hurtigruten’s schedule.  My sweetheart cousin, Ingbritt, and her wonderful husband, Bjørn-Arne, were at the dock to meet us.  We loaded all of our luggage into Bjørn-Arne’s large van and he took everything to rorbua (cabin) #17, while the rest of us made the 5 minute walk with Ingbritt.  They had shopped for a few of the basics for us, so we had a tea/coffee before settling into our respective rooms for the night.

Not much walking today!

This entry was posted in 2018 Midnight Sun Photo Tour, Uncategorized.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *