Day 4 – Arrival in Bermuda

Another rough night, but not so much because of motion.  The damn wind was howling through the door with a shrill whistle all night and the entrance door was still rattling.  Other than being tired, we were both feeling OK when breakfast arrived at 8:30.

I phoned for someone to come up to fix the door.  A girl showed up a few minutes later, checked the balcony door, which she couldn’t open and said she’d send a carpenter up.  A carpenter???  I’m sure that there isn’t a stick of wood used in the construction of this ship!

Bonnie and I got ourselves up and dressed to go out for a wander.  It was very grey and raining out and didn’t look very promising for the day.  We stopped for a tea on the Lido deck, nibbled on something and then waited for the ship’s arrival in Bermuda.  The Captain announced that the pilot boat was meeting us to lead the ship into dock.  Geoff and Nancy joined us at a table by the windows.

Luck was with us!!  Just as we were beginning to make our way through the channel, the sky cleared and the sun came out.  It was a great, slow ride into port passing the various islands, with beautiful homes.  As we approached the Hamilton dock, the ship did a 180 turn and then slid into her spot…..very slick.  The Veendam is now docked right along Front St., the main street in Hamilton.  As the Captain says, it’s the best spot in town and the best hotel.

We knew that there would be lots of people lined up to leave the ship, so we took our time and had some lunch before heading out.  We wandered down Front St., stopped at a few stores, including a clothing store, where I picked up a bathing suit.  I can’t believe that I didn’t pack mine!  Geoff and Nancy bought a few t-shirts along the way, we stopped for a while at the Queen Elizabeth Park and walked a few more streets.  Luck was with us again!!  right across the street from the Veendam, is Flannigan’s Irish pub, so we stopped there for a cold drink.  It was damn hot and steamy out, so this hit the spot.

We were back aboard the ship about 5:30, just in time for happy hour on G & N’s balcony, enjoying the view.

View from the Balcony

View from the Balcony

We all went back to the Lido deck for dinner vs. going to the dining room for our 5:15 sitting.  This dinner was much better than we’d had in the dining room the first night!  After that, we went to the Showroom at Sea to catch the early show:  a band from Australia that did only acoustical music from the 50’s and 60’s.  The singer (can’t remember his name) was very high energy and very entertaining.  In fact, I can hear him now doing the late show, singing Neil Diamond’s ‘Sweet Caroline’.

I checked the entrance door….it’s closing tight.  Checked the balcony door….new weatherstripping all around!  We won’t notice the difference while we’re in dock, but we’re sure hoping for quiet nights on the sail back to Boston.

So, that was it for the day….we’re turning in.  Tomorrow, May 24th, is Bermuda Day.  There’s a 1/2 marathon race that starts at 9:00 AM.  We’re told that people dress up in crazy costumes for this.  There’s a parade starting at 1:00, that goes right past the ship.  Should be an entertaining day.

We also have something to look forward to on Wednesday.  Corey’s friend, Anthony, is picking us up at 10:00 for a tour around the island.  That will include a stop at the National Museum, where Andrew, another friend of Corey’s, will show us around.

Wi-fi is available on the ship, at a cost of course, so we’re using it sparingly.

This entry was posted in Bermuda.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *