Day 2 – Detroit to Boston….Boarding the Veendam!

Up at 6:30 for our 7:00 AM breakfast and off to the Detroit airport at 7:30.  We avoided further construction on I275 and since it was Saturday morning, the traffic was light.  Everything went like clockwork this morning from arriving at the green parking lot, shuttled to the terminal without a wait, getting fast tracked through security for whatever reason and boarding the JetBlue flight to Boston.

MS Veendam Ship Facts

MS Veendam Ship Facts

After picking up our luggage, we were met by the Holland America rep, loaded our luggage and ourselves on the bus for the 10 minute drive to the ship terminal.  Of course, boarding the ship meant yet another security check, but that was a relatively painless process.  We checked in, got our keys and boarded the ship.  We weren’t in our staterooms more than 10 minutes before our luggage arrived.

Our room on the 9th deck level is great….lots of closet space, a fairly large bathroom with a tub and shower, a king size bed, desk, small couch and a balcony.  Geoff and Nancy are in the next identical room but, unfortunately, the metal panel separating the 2 balconies, cannot be removed on this ship.  No problem, we just handed a chair around the partition and then went to their balcony for the first on board glass of wine.  I was tempted, but that demon alcohol will not pass these lips!  Geoff suggested I go the 4:00 PM ‘Friends of Bill W’ meeting (AA).  We went up 2 floors to the Lido deck for the Departure Party and grabbed a snack there.

We wandered around a bit to get our bearings then returned to our rooms to change for the 5:15 dinner in the Rotterdam dining room…table 22 for 4 by the window.  Nancy and I had the grilled salmon, which was kinda tasteless.  Bonnie had the red snapper, which was overcooked; Geoff said that his roast chicken was good.  The French Onion soup I had was tasty, but could have done with more onions and Geoff’s shrimp cocktail, didn’t look much like that and he won’t be ordering that again.  Bonnie and I had tea, but the water wasn’t very hot.  Overall, I’d say that the dinner wasn’t great.  Maybe it’ll be better tomorrow.

After dinner we went to the Showroom at Sea, to learn about what to expect and do in Bermuda.  It was a good, informative session.  The temperature is expected to be 75F+ each day but, unfortunately, rain is forecasted for every day.

Prior to leaving home, I spoke with my cousin Corey, to pick her brain about what to do here.  She often comes here to house sit for friends and knows the islands well.  We had spent time on the phone and emailed information to us.  Better than that, she has arranged for a couple of friends to give us private tours around the island and at the National Museum.

It was another long day and here it is 10:20 and ready to turn the lights out.

This entry was posted in Bermuda.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *